Call for IEEE AP-S Distinguished Lecturer Nominations
Nomination Deadline: July 31, 2020
Self-nominations are also allowed and encouraged. In addition to conventional DL positions, consideration will be given to award one DL position to a person who has successfully demonstrated entrepreneurship or exceptional contributions towards commercialisation in an antenna- or propagation-related field and have given related presentations to encourage others. Nominees who wish to be considered under this category should indicate that in the nomination documents. Decisions will normally be made before the end of the year.
All new DLs are required to give at least three distinguished lectures in developing countries during the tenure of three years and this should be agreed to by the nominee in the nomination or self-nomination documents. As a guideline, any country or an area that is not recognized by the United Nations as a Developed Economy is considered “developing” for this purpose (e.g. see Table A. Developed Economies, “Country classification”, http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wesp/wesp_current/2014wesp_country_classification.pdf) but the Chair of the DL Committee can consider and approve exceptions.
In addition, from 2020, each nominee must propose one lecture suitable for general audience – a lecture any member of the AP Society can appreciate – in addition to any number of specialised lectures.
The entire nomination package should be sent by email (documents in PDF) to the Chair of the Committee, with the Email Subject of “AP-S Distinguished Lecturer Nomination 2020”, by the deadline in order to consider for the three-year term beginning in the following year. The mandatory video clip may be submitted by other means such as Dropbox if necessary.
The nomination package should include the following six files. Please note that all six files are mandatory and any additional material, including those beyond the length limit, will not be considered.
- A letter of recommendation from the nominator, or a statement of purpose in the case of self-nomination, limited to one page. This should indicate the feedback received by the nominee after previous external (preferably international) presentations and his/her willingness to travel to chapters around the world as part of the service. Length limit: 1 page; Filename: NomineeLastName_Letter
- A vita or resume of the nominee that includes the complete or partial list of presentations given by the nominee since 2015. In the list, identify each presentation of more general/tutorial/workshop nature with an asterisk. Length limit: 5 pages; Filename: NomineeLastName_Resume
- A set of abstracts for the proposed lectures that the nominee plans on offering. (Please visit the Distinguished Lecturer Program webpage to see abstracts from current DLs.). The number of lectures offered by each DL varies; 3-4 are suggested including the lecture for general audience. Length limit: 3 pages; Filename: NomineeLastName_Abstracts
- A sample set of slides from one or few recent presentations given by the candidate. Length limit: 40 slides; Filename: NomineeLastName_Slides
- Ten slides on the lecture proposed for general audience. This lecture does not need to be complete at this stage. Length: 10 slides; Filename: NomineeLastName_SlidesGeneral
- A 10-minute video (with voice) of one of the proposed lectures. This lecture does not need to be complete at this stage. Length limit: 10 minutes, 1 Giga Bytes; Filename: NomineeLastName_Video
Candidates will be judged by a Selection Panel on their qualifications and suitability, according to the following selection criteria:
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills (30%)
- Quality and relevance of proposed lectures that are of current or tutorial interest to both specialised and general audience (30%)
- An outstanding record of accomplishment in the field of Antennas and Propagation (40%)
- Demonstrated entrepreneurship and/or exceptional contributions towards commercialisation in an antenna- or propagation-related field (mandatory for entrepreneurship category, not applicable for others)
Distinguished Professor Karu P. Esselle, FRSN, FIEEE, FIEAust
Chair, IEEE AP-S Distinguished Lecturer Program Committee
University of Technology Sydney, Australia