Antenna Propagation Society Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology
In recent years, the IEEE has placed great emphasis on Humanitarian Technology Activities, instituting the Humanitarian AdHoc Committee (HAHC) in 2011. As part of a strategic effort toward member engagement, HAHC instituted a program called Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (SIGHT). Under the IEEE SIGHT, the Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S) SIGHT group formed with the vision to strengthen the world by solving the existing humanitarian challenges in the world.
Focus Areas of AP-S SIGHT
- Inspire students and practitioners to make a difference in solving chronic problems including crises with food, water, communications / information access, and power / lighting.
- In times of disaster, AP-S members can help provide emergency communications online so that relief agencies can bring the needed medical, food, and shelter supplies to the regions of greatest need.
- Disaster Monitoring & Relief, Dissemination of Warning, Healthcare Monitoring, Telemedicine, Hazards Monitoring and Alert, Environmental Monitoring, and so on.
- Technical sessions and workshops on Wireless Sensor Networks for First Responders/Disaster Relief.
- Leverage Local Chapters for membership growth activities, collaborations, networking, and interactions with the local universities, institutes, and government agencies to deliver technical talks by AP-S SIGHT.
Events and Activities
- Dr. Ajay Poddar (Chair of the AP-S Chapter Activity Committee) and Dr. Tapan Sarkar (2014 AP-S President) initiated Interaction about SIGHT with Dr. Peter Staecker (2013 IEEE President) and Dr. Tim Lee (2015 MTT-S President) at the 2015 IMS in Phoenix. The AP-S SIGHT petition was submitted at the July 2015 Vancouver AP-S meeting, where it was approved by the AP-S AdCom.
- The IEEE AP-S SIGHT participated in the "inauguration" of the newly designed amateur radio station at the AURA Hotel, dedicated for the blind in Saulgrub, that took place on 11 October 2015. The IEEE AP-S SIGHT Committee Chair (Ajay Poddar) reported the official inauguration. Dr. Ulrich Rohde, IEEE AP-S Strategic Planning Committee Chair was also a part of the delegation and donated radio sets for the blind community.
- The IEEE AP-S Southern Alberta Section (Canada) of Region 7 organized a HAM Radio training session for undergraduate and graduate student members. The students were made aware of existing licensing rules and policies by Mr. Tim Ellam, President, International Amateur Radio Union and Mr. Jerry Spring and Mr. Ken Okeley, HAM Radio operators from Calgary, Alberta.
- The IEEE AP-S SIGHT Committee offers an amazing opportunity for amateurs, high school students, and college students to participate in different competitions during IMaRC 2015 scheduled from 10-12 December in Hyderabad, India. Register today for the IMaRC-SIGHT Panel Session, IMaRC SIGHT Design Competition, IMaRC SIGHT Amateur Radio Session, and IMaRC SIGHT Amateur Radio Demonstration.
- The IEEE AP-S SIGHT Committee along with the IEEE AP/MTT Kolkata Chapter is organizing two SIGHT events, one in Kolkata on 16 December 2015 at CODEC 2015 and one in Guwahati AEMC 2015 during 19-21 December 2015.
- 2019 Humans of IEEE SIGHT.
AP-S SIGHT Committee Members